Monday, June 27, 2011

6.27.11. 9:32 P.M. Three Days Out.

I haven't written here in a while, a lot has happened. I moved into my new apartment, for one, and I began packing for the trip. Since the last post, I haven't really thought about what is going to happen too much. I'd decided to just let what ever happens happen and take it as it comes. I also felt that analyzing my preconceptions would only further solidify them as I would then be aware of them and therefore making an effort to act against them instead of acting as I naturally would...if that makes sense.

Anyway, I am almost all packed up, with only some minor, yet major, things left to do. Such as making multiple copies of my passport...hehe...

I've not had much anxiety during my waking hours, yet it is whilst I am defenseless in my dream state that fears are allowed to play out in Dreamland's warped interpretation of reality. In a dream two nights ago, I found myself in a supremely clean and orderly Indian city, near a beach. My oldest brother and his wife were with me, and we were standing by a car in a not-so-filled parking lot, and only a handful of people were on the streets walking. This is about as much as I can remember from the dream, and already I can tell that I want what I know I will most likely not get. I had another dream after that one, and a very similar one last night where my teeth fall out, one by one they either fall out or are easily pulled out. What this dream represents, I cannot yet quite figure out. Perhaps it is just a manifestation of the anxiety all together. But I don't know. I wouldn't have thought much of it if it didn't happen two nights in a row, or had happened before. I wonder what I'll dream about tonight.

I looked up things to do during my 9 hour layover in London the other day. I found some really neat double decker tour buses, but my flight comes in at an inconvenient time at 1:15 in the afternoon...so I'm not sure that I will be able to take one. I was thinking about just getting a travelcard for the underground and just popping up at random places around the city and seeing what I can do. My flight to India leaves at 10:00, so I'm not sure how many touristy things happen with in that time frame. If nothing else, especially if I'm not allowed to leave the airport, I hear Heathrow is huge so I would have plenty to see in there. But really, now. That would suck...having to stay in the airport for 9 hours. I saw The Terminal. I know how that goes.Tom Hanks makes it look easy. :P

P.S. I saw my first wild LIVING skunks tonight while walking on the levee. I was pretty excited. They were far enough away for none of us to be afraid of attack by the other. It was fun to not see one just as roadkill for once.

5 comments:

  1. It's definitely after midnight, as I post this. And as I read, I recall your sentiments concerning posting this blog before you leave--understandable, possibly even expected. What I didn't understand or expect at that time was how I would feel reading all of this. And, if I were only given one word, it would be pride. Your posts here genuine and almost canonically you (or Anthony Bourdain… whom I love. He's a kickass travel writer, so that's definitely a compliment.) I realize now more than ever how far you have come from our D-block lunches in that fateful Fall of 2003. In a way, your making this dream of going to India a reality is somewhat my dream as well. To see you take something that was almost wishful thinking for so long and finally just plunge in, come what may-- it's just one of the many things that makes me so glad you are in my life. It's not often you receive the gift of such a strong friend or such a rewarding friendship. So I wish you all of the best in whatever, shape, form, or experience that may turn out to be. You will be absolutely brilliant, I know it. Call me if you need it, but otherwise keep posting so I can live vicariously through your travels. Concerning your triumphant return, just like Victor Navorsky, I wait. <4!

    Ps- I don't really dream much as of late. But when I do, I get the loosing teeth one, too. But you shouldn't worry too much about it. After all, I'm still here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlette, I'm loving this blog! Wow, I appreciate you so much more than ever, if that is possible. I love how you write, so full of soul, passion and intellect...

    It makes sense that your anxiety is coming from your mind contemplating your adventures and confronting thoughts of so many unknown factors. I can just see you having the time of your life once you get there and live it. It's like that when I go whitewater kayaking or ocean paddling. The night before I'll have shark dreams or thoughts of getting pinned down in a hole in the rapid and I'll lose so much sleep. But then the day comes and I'm the happiest person having so much fun, the absolute most joyous, thrilling time of my life, living in the momment. Plus don't worry, if you think about it, you should be just fine having all of us here at home saying Hail Marys and thinking about you- all that karma will protect you. I wanted to write something like, we will all be there in spirit helping you out, but then I'm figuring part of your adventure is getting away from all of us opinionated and interfering family members and really getting some alone time, lol. See how far you have to go to get some time to yourself! Ha!

    I'm so amazed and humbled by your taking this journey, and so very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arlette,

    I love your blog. Please update the exact cities you will be visiting. Make sure you drink bottled water and eat everything boiled till your stomach gets used to the food. No raw vegetables unless you grow them yourself or you know for sure that its organic.

    In London, if you go out, leave at least 2.5-3 hours to get back in for your next flight. The security checks take a long time.

    Have fun and bring back lot of photos.

    - SK Soundarrajan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful adventure, Arlette! We are so excited for you and delighted you will be sharing your experiences here. You are a wonderful writer! Enjoy every minute, and know that you have a fan club here who is rooting for you! Love, Ann & Keith

    ReplyDelete
  5. NINE HOUR LAYOVER?! that is rough. the bus tour sounds like a great idea if you can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete