Sunday, July 17, 2011

7.5.11. 8:35AM. Day 4. Ups and Downs.

Ugh. Very early this morning I got sick. I got what i prefer to call, "the ups and downs" than by what it is normally called. I guess I spent about 2 hours in the bathroom, and at one point stopped and noticed the sun rise through the window, noted it beauty, and then I continued with what I was doing. Eventually, i was able to go back to bed and after awhile felt comfortable laying down. I thought that I could at least sit or lie down at yoga but I didn't make it past putting on my clothes, so here I am, sitting on my bed facing the open bathroom door just in case I need to make a quick getaway...
 At some time close to 8AM I decided to to call my mom - she answered very enthusiastically and I responded in not quite the same manner, though I tried. I asked her, "why doesn't anybody call me?" and she replied with, "We weren't sure when a good time would be." I answered that with, "well, not today." Obviously. She called me back after a few minutes and told me that she told EEEEEEEEEVERYONE to call me. She also told them of my ups and downs situations...Agnes just called. It was good to hear her voice - and even better that I didn't have to make a getaway. I'm starting to get a headache, probably from the lack for hydration or perhaps the lack of food energy. But either way, I'm going to sip some more water and go lay down.

9:54 PM

I slept through most of the day. I think I set a record for the amount of naps taken before noon. I didn't eat for most of the day, though Mary tried to encourage me to do so. The ladies in the kitchen even made me some special "easy to eat" meals, but I barely touched the first one and forced myself to eat half of the second. Mary and I have come to the agreement that this is most likely the malaria medication that is the culprit. I've even begun taking it with food, which helps for awhile, but eventually the stomach pain comes back and seems to only be relieved when I lie down in a fetal position.

Mayank, the coordinator, at some point got wind of my not being well, so he called and let me know that day or night he would make the 1.5 hour journey from Dehra Dun to Rishikesh to come get me. I thought this a very sweet gesture, and if my fever and dizziness while standing don't go away by tomorrow, I might just take him up on that.

It seems the honeymoon period is over, at least for the moment. Though beautiful, India is humid, the power toes our every now and then, there are beggars overwhelming the streets, and most of all - which is not India's fault - I have to take Malaria pills that me it very hard to appreciate the awesomeness and magic of this place. Pain and discomfort have made me bitter. I hope the side effects will subside because I would like to take full advantage of being here and truly get to enjoy it because I know I still love it deep down inside, though I must endure pain in order to be safe. The things I do for those I love! We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Ick. I'm sorry about the ups and downs! If it's any consolation, I think I caught a cold. Ups and downs is right. Or maybe, like sympathetic pregnancy, I have sympathetic traveler's syndrome. ;P

    Also, I'd call if I had your digits! But hopefully you have my address by now (Meaghann called. Fun story. Tell you when you get back, Sicky!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daww poor thing. Weren't you supposed to take the Maleria medication before going to India? I know that Thyphoid was painful for me and the altitude sickness medication only made me sicker.

    ReplyDelete