Sunday, July 17, 2011

7.6.11. 1:56PM. Day 5. Lord Hanuman and His Monkeys.

I woke up around 5AM to the soft pitter patter of rain. This was no monsoon but it was a fresh beginning to what looked to be a promising day. I felt tremendously better than the day before but I found that I had a huge headache, most likely from the lack of food for the majority of yesterday. But still, I had enough energy to go to yoga, and even though the ache got so intense I wanted to punch the instructor in the face for making me continue, i got through it and felt that I earned my breakfast. It's amazing how quickly word travels  here because no less than 6 people asked me how I was feeling today.

I stopped by the kitchen to make a special request for toast as a part of our breakfast. The way those ladies made toast is magical. I think that they take normal sliced white bread, spread ghee on it, and sprinkle on some salt and then grill it. Soooooooo good! The salt brings out all kinds of buttery good flavor from the ghee, and the salf itself tastes wonderful, and may even be quite benificial in this type of climate where so much of our salt content is lost through sweat.

After breakfast we came back to the room to just lounge and digest. But then a large troop of monkeys came walking by on the low wall right in front of our door and window. We took the opportunity for a few photos. I've got some cute ones of some mammas and their babies. These monkeys walked right by us, and at some points mo more than 2 feet away. But when they got that close we were sure to give them some space by closing the screen door in between us. Just in case.
 


Afterwards we went to see Dr. Muthu for our class. The topics today were mud and fasting therapies. There are three types of clay that he mentioned: white, black, and red. All of which are found in different locations. He told us what was good, how to harvest it, store it, and the different ways to use it. Also what diseases they are good for, and the ones that should not be mud therapied. Then he spoke on the various fasting therapies. I think he said there were around 5 or 6 types. Fasting is one of those things you  can do on your own and is best to do only if you are healthy. After the lecture, Mary and I went around some of the Ashrams and noticed that the particular one we were at seemed to be devoted mostly to Hanuman, the Monkey god, and when we decided to go back to sit on the steps by the Ganges, Mary pointed out a statue of Hanuman that I still can't believe I missed the first time. It was to the right of the steps and stood about 60 feet tall. He sits cross legged with his tail draped over his right arm, and his spreading open his chest with his hands.
 During the day the chest is closed, but it looks like it opens up and it probably does during the nightly ceremony. After taking a few pictures of that with some people close by for scale, we sat down on the steps. only one old man was there offering his bowl of flower petals, and when he left I was finally able to muster up the courage to touch the Ganges. It was awesome.
 The water is slightly milky-brown, full of rich sediment, it's cold but not freezing like the American River. It was very refreshing especially in humidity like this - I was told before I left home that if I got a chance to, I should bathe in the Ganges because it will wash away your sins. So a clean slate for me!

4:33PM

Mary went to have a massage done around 3Pm becuase Dr. Muthu asked us if we'd like one. I declined graciously, but Mary seized that opportunity by the horns. So when she went, I tagged along. Just like with the yoga, we had preconceptions about what a massage experience consisted of. And just like with the yoga we were off a little. The moment we walked  in there I immediately patted myself on the back for knowing myself. we walked into a little room about the size of a handicap stall in a public restroom. As soon as she latched the door the masseuse told Mary to strip down to only her underwear. There was no robe, or towel, or modesty. THis right here would have sent me packing. It ended up being a full body, head to foot, both sides massage*. Mary said it was the best she'd ever had, and she'd had a lot. She said that it was the best because of the lack of pomp and circumstance, there was no bravado or superficiality like you get in the states. The lady just rubbed her down. All business. She also pointed our that like the yoga part, it seems like in the US people, at least superficially, try to create an aura of sacredness or spirituality by using lofty breath or candles, music, incense, etc. Where as, here, the spirituality  is already in the air, so that all you need is a table and a woman with rediculously strong hands. But either way I'm not one much for massages - I get squirmy when people try to massage me, I'm sensitive so it tends to hurt, and I'm ticklish so...yeah. Massage - not my thing.
*It was a Swedish Massage

8:53PM

O.K. I can live here. Haha. It appears that the monsoon has started! Rain is thundering down from the heavens and thunder is racing after the lightning. Ah! I can just taste the electricity in the air. I hope it continues on until the morning because I would love to see it not just hear it.

Today was an all around more positive day than yesterday. Once I was fed and watered my headache went away. And I was even willing to go out on a walk. I was no overwhelmed this time and even got to enjoy it. I was still sweating out of every pore on my body but today nothing seemed to bother me.

I guess one thing does bother me. This food here is hard for me to eat (Mary loves it). There is something about it that just makes me not want it in my mouth. It might be the spices but Im not sure. I thought i'd had these spices before but the taste here is weird to me. The fresh papaya, which on the first day was so yummy, now even repulses me. It's sad. It seems like everything I ate the day I threw up is now off the menu for me. Now all I feel comfortable eating is chapatis and white rice - aweosme with continental sauce (which tastes an aweful lot like ketchup...), toast with ghee, and chai. It's bad, i know, all carbs, but at least Im getting a lot of exercise and i only have 2 more days before i go back to Aunty;s house, where her food is milder. I'd only been at her home for one night and already I'm homesick for it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, cleansing yourself of sins in the Ganges, that's really intense and beautiful! So is a massage, do get one for me. Come on!!!! I do love the idea of a clean slate for you, then we can tease you about how long it will last, lol! XOXO About the food, I'm so sorry that those stupid malaria pills are ruining your appetite & taste buds. I like that the spirituality is in the air, I would love to experience that one day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, that was me not Josh that just commented! Besos! Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monkeys! :) Bathing in the Ganges sounds amazing and aunties house does sound nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. Jai Hanuman.. Thank you for sharing the informative blog. It is indeed wonderful to read and useful.
    Read hanuman chalisa.

    ReplyDelete